Coral Bleanching in Mexican Caribean

Humberto jalvarez at kin.cieamer.conacyt.mx
Thu Oct 15 12:25:46 EDT 1998

>Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:11:21 -0500
>coral-list at aoml.noaa.gov
>From: Humberto <jalvarez at kin.cieamer.conacyt.mx>
>Subject: Coral Bleanching in Mexican Caribean
>

>         Two weeks ago as part of my doctoral dissertation I did some
sampling in the coral reef of Mahahual ,in the Mexican Caribbean close to
the city of Chetumal.The water temperature in this place wincreased from 82
to88 F (27.7 to31.1 C). While diving nears the crest of reef I noticed clear
pale corals. genus Mantastrea  , Porites and Agarica which looks as
bleaching. I have sampoles of those corals as well as color slides.Looks
like the first report of bleaching in Mexico.