Tortugas 2000 - Joint Scoping Meetings

holtzd%fkeys at cenmarine.com holtzd%fkeys at cenmarine.com
Fri Oct 23 09:10:30 EDT 1998

David Holtz
Center for Marine Conservation
Florida Keys Office
513 Fleming Street  Suite 14
Key West, FL  33040
305-295-3370
305-295-3371 (fax)
dholtz at cenmarine.com
fkeysman at aol.com (home)

We could really use support for the joint scoping meetings between NOAA
and
NPS for the Dry Torugas coming up in the next several days in Florida and
Washington, DC. Please see below for the brief and dates.
Please encourage anyone in the Keys you may know to attend.

The Center for Marine Conservation supports a "no take" marine reserve to
protect the Tortugas area. For NOAA and the Florida Keys National Marine
Sanctuary, establishing a marine reserve in the Dry Tortugas will
implement an objective of the sanctuary's management plan. However,this
is a new step for the National Park Service. They are poised as a logical
agency to take on the "no take" concept for marine resources within their
jurisdiction.

>  DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
>
>  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
>

>  Intent To Prepare a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement
>  and Notice of Scoping Meetings for the Proposed Tortugas Ecological
>  Reserve in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary
>
>  AGENCY: Department of Commerce (DOC), National Oceanic and Atmospheric
>  Administration (NOAA), National Ocean Service (NOS), Office of Ocean
>  and Coastal Resource Management (OCRM), Sanctuaries and Reserves
>  Division (SRD).
>
>  ACTION: Notice of intent; Notice of scoping meetings.

>  SUMMARY: SRD has initiated the process to establish an Ecological
>  Reserve within the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS or
>  Sanctuary) west of the Dry Tortugas National Park. The Sanctuary
>  intends to prepare a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement
(SEIS)
>  and hold scoping meetings to receive public input.
>
>  DATES AND ADDRESSES: Interested parties are invited to submit written
>  comments by December 17, 1998, to assure full consideration during the
>  scoping process. Written comments may be sent to Billy D. Causey,
>  Superintendent,
>
>  [[Page 55366]]
>
>  Florid Key National Marine Sanctuary, Post Office Box 500368,
Marathon,
>  Florida 33050. Comments will be available for public review at the
>  Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary office at 5550 Overseas Highway
>  in Marathon during normal business hours.
>      Scoping meetings are being held as follows:
>
>  October 27, 1998: 2-5 p.m.--Washington D.C., Department of Commerce
>  Main Auditorium, 14th Street and Constitution Avenue.
>  October 29: 3-8 p.m.--Ft. Myers Convention Center.
>  November 9: 3-8 p.m.--Key West Holiday Inn Beachside.
>  November 10: 3-8 p.m.--Marathon High School.
>  November 17: 3-8 p.m.--Miami, Florida International University Graham
Center, SW 8th Street at SW 107th Ave.

>  FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Billy D. Causey at (305) 743-2437
ext.
>  26.
>
>  SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary
>  was designated by an act of Congress entitled the Florida Keys
National