Reef definition and sponge spawning.

John Ware jware at erols.com
Fri Sep 11 14:12:18 EDT 1998

Dear Listers,

	A group of recreational divers observed and photographed spawning of a
large number of sponges at Watkins Wedge, Pompano Beach, Florida.  The
sponges were photographed at between 8:56 and 9:35 AM on August 15, 1998
in 50 - 60 feet of water.  From the photos I have identified the sponge
as almost surely *Xestospongia muta*.  No other species were observed to
be spawning at this time.

	With regard to definitions of coral reef.  I am still sifting through
the 30 or so replies I have received.  Unfortunately, setting up and
running a new business has slowed me down somewhat.

	A number of people stated that they would like to obtain a definition
sooner.  If you are one of those, contact me and we can chat about my
preliminary conclusions.

Thanks and good diving,

John
     *                   John R. Ware, PhD                     *
     *                       President                         *
     *                    SeaServices, Inc.                    *
     *                 19572 Club House Road                   *
     *              Gaithersburg, MD, 20886, USA               *
     *                     301 987-8507                        *
     *                    jware at erols.com                      *
     *        |\/__     Sea Services, Inc.         \           *