listing coral

Jamie D. Bechtel warrior at bu.edu
Tue Apr 6 23:30:55 EDT 1999

Hello all - I received this email and it seemed appropriate to forward it
given the recent debate over the listing of Acropora palmata and A.
cervicornis. A petition to list the two species is well on its way and the
outcome seems promising. However, scientific evidence will strenghten the
petition. Please respond directly to Brent Plater at
platerb at ksg.harvard.edu. Note that comments are being accepted until April
15. Brent has included an explanation of what type of information is
necessary and a copy of the petitition.

Cheers,
jamie

>My name is Brent Plater, and I am a law and public policy graduate student
>studying at UC Berkeley and Harvard.  As you know, the populations of
>Acropora palmata (elkhorn coral) and Acropora cervicornis (staghorn coral)
>are in critical condition.  From my initial research, it appears that if
>these species are not legally protected soon, they may face extinction.  I
>am therefore submitting a petition to NMFS to list these species as
>endangered under the Endangered Species Act.
>
>In order to make sure that this petition is based on the best scientific
>and commercial data available (which is the basis for determination under
>the Endangered Species Act) I am writing this list to find out if anyone is
>interested in supporting this petition.  Support is needed in two ways:
>first, I need scientists who are familiar with these species to write
>letters in support of the petition.  These letters will be submitted with
>the petition.  Second, if anyone has any documentation (including
>references to articles in the scientific literature) documenting the life
>history, population decline, current population size and range, etc. please
>e-mail me the title, author, and where it was published so that I may
>retrieve the information.
>
>This petition has a very good chance at being successful because NMFS is
>already considering legal protection for these species. On Jan 15, 1999
>NMFS published in the Federal Register a notice that it was considering
>these species (among others) for the Endangered Species Act candidate
>species list.  FYI, the Jan. 15 publication is attached below.
>
>Finally, if you know of any additional species of coral or other marine
>species that are in need of protection, please let me know so we can
>discuss whether listing under the ESA would be appropriate for those
>species as well.
>
>Thank you for your help and if you have any further questions feel free to
>contact me at 617-491-8946.
>
>Very truly yours,
>
>Brent Plater
>1039 Massachusetts Ave. # 202
>Cambridge, MA 02138
>617-491-8946
>platerb at ksg.harvard.edu
>

>[Federal Register: January 15, 1999 (Volume 64, Number 10)]
>[Notices]
>[Page 2629-2630]
>>From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
>[DOCID:fr15ja99-50]

>DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
>
>National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
>[I.D. 011199C]
>

>Endangered and Threatened Species; Request for Information on
>Candidate Species List Under the Endangered Species Act
>
>AGENCY: National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), National Oceanic and
>Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Commerce.
>
>ACTION: Request for information for revision of candidate species list.

>SUMMARY: NMFS solicits information on marine and anadromous species
> [...]
Jamie D. Bechtel
Boston University
Department of Biology
Five Cummington Street