coral transplant

Bruce Carlson carlson at iniki.soest.hawaii.edu
Tue Apr 6 22:41:06 EDT 1999

Shafina,

Corals are transplanted on reefs using underwater epoxy or portland
cement/plaster mixture.  Epoxies can be used on near-vertical surfaces as
well as horizontal surfaces, whereas the cement technique can only be used
on horizontal surfaces.  Epoxy and cement can be used both with stony
corals and black corals.

Regardless of the technique, most who have attempted transplanting corals
to reefs generally agree it is probably not worth the time and effort.
Only a few corals can be planted per diver per hour, and the loss due to
predation and mechanical failure of the epoxy/cement is fairly high.  You
should have a clear understanding of your goals before going out and
transplanting corals, and weigh these goals against the cost in manpower
and dollars.

Bob Richmond at the University of Guam is testing techniques to encourage
settlement of cultured planulae on the reef.  You might want to contact
him for further information on this subject.

Bruce Carlson
Waikiki Aquarium