Tropical Marine Science - Akumal, Mexico

Daniel Shapiro Daniel_Shapiro at monterey.edu
Fri Apr 23 12:34:50 EDT 1999

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: TROPICAL MARINE SCIENCE (Cornell University and
Shoals Marine Laboratory)

This summer we will take 12 students to Akumal, a small town located on
the Caribbean coast of Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula.  Students will study
basic coral reef ecology and conservation, learn to identify local hard
and soft coral species, collect data for the Akumal Coral Reef Monitoring
Project, and design and implement independent research projects.  The
course is designed for undergraduate students interested in learning about
basic coral reef ecology, conservation, and underwater research.

Dates: June 5th - August 1st.

Credits: 12 Semester Credits (Cornell University)

Prerequisites: Recognized SCUBA certification, a medical examination, one
full year of college level biology, permission of instructor (Dr. Dan
Shapiro).

For more information, see our web page at:

http://www.sml.cornell.edu/Shoals/courses/akumal.html

or contact either:

Shoals Marine Laboratory
Cornell University
G-14Y Stimson Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853-7101
email: shoals-lab at cornell.edu
phone: 607-255-3717
Web Site: http://www.sml.cornell.edu

or

Dr. Dan Shapiro (course instructor)
Institute for Earth Systems Science and Policy
California State University Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center
Seaside, CA  93955-8001
email: daniel_shapiro at monterey.edu
phone: 408-582-3090