Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Tue Apr 27 08:38:52 EDT 1999

        Reply to:   RE>

Alizarin Red is a vital stain so it will only stain by biological uptake.
Your non-living plates should remain unstained, but corals should incorporate
it into their skeletons.  Also, if you have crustose corallines algae, they
will incorporate the stain into their skeletons as well.

My major concern would be finding the small amount of stain in the small
skeleton of the spat.  However, the technique should work.

Cheers,
Mark