Coral Harvesting - Fiji.

Maureen Penjueli mpenjuel at dialb.greenpeace.org
Fri Aug 6 06:33:15 EDT 1999

Bula everyone,

There is currently a huge debate in Fiji with regards to Coral
harvesting in Fiji.  A paper was commissioned by the Fisheries
Department and the industry to address the issue.

Recommendation is to allow the industry to go ahead and there is a
lot of concern in the country about the potential damage to the
country.  However support is divided between those who support the
industry and those that don't.   Fiji is becoming one of the biggest
exporters if not the biggest exporter of coral products and there is
concern regarding the damage that is done to the natural environment
which has not been adequately dealt with in the report.

We are requesting information/ contacts of scientists who have
worked on this issue to help balance the debate here in Fiji....and
provide people in Government with the necessary information.  We are
particularly interested in research conducted in Asia or regions
where there has been an impact.  We have at least a week to provide
individuals with the necessary information.  I look forward to
information that anyone could provide our office.

Vinaka.

Maureen.