underwater temperature loggers

Jim Ivey jivey at seas.marine.usf.edu
Fri Aug 6 09:50:08 EDT 1999

Dear Gerard,

	My suggestion would be to stick with inexpensive loggers but have a
machine shop make your housing.  I designed a number of housings for
optical instruments and junction boxes.  I use schedule 80 aluminum pipe
and have it anodized.  If you use a marine bulkhead connector on the
housing, you can further isolate the housing from water leakage through the
cable.  If you are really concerned about water leakage, filling the
housing with insulating oil adds an extra measure of safety.  I can send
you a CAD drawing of one of the housings I have designed.  Let me know if
you would like one.

Sincerely,

Jim Ivey

At 03:04 AM 8/6/99 -0400, Gerard Geertjes wrote:
>     Dear coral-listers, My colleague Mebrahtu Ateweberhan, who works in a
>joint project of the  University of Asmara (Eritrea) and the Groningen
>University (The Netherlands),  seeks information on underwater temperature
>loggers. He is especially interested  in experiences of other researchers
>with this type of apparatus. I forward his  message: Out of 4 temperature
>loggers that we purchased in 1997, only one remains  operational. Two of
>the loggers were found damaged while the third one was  reading wrong
>values. We think the problem is associated with the size and the  strength
>of the case. We are looking for suggestions on data loggers with rugged
>and strong case that withstands the strong water motion and with a 0-50  oC
>ranges of reading. Price obviously is an issue as well. Mebrahtu
>Ateweberhan University of Asmara Atewebem at biol.rug.nl
>mebrahtu at marine.uoa.edu.er Please respond directly to Mebrahtu, thanks.
>Gerard J. Geertjes
>Groningen University
>Department of Marine  Biology
>Kaya Dorado 12, Bonaire
>Netherlands Antilles
>geertjes at bonairenet.com
>phone: +  599 7 5879

James E. Ivey 		   |	Tel# (727) 553-1503
University of S. Florida   |	Fax# (727) 553-1189
140 7th Ave S.		   |	e-mail: jivey at marine.usf.edu
St. Petersburg, FL 33701   |