Spawning Information

James Rolfe Guest scip9051 at nus.edu.sg
Wed Aug 25 01:39:56 EDT 1999

Dear Coral-List,

I am starting a study of the sexual reproductive characteristics of local
coral reefs for my PhD at the National University of Singapore. Very
little is known about the timing, duration and environmental cues that
lead to spawning events on SE Asian reefs, yet this information is
critical to understanding the dynamics and rehabilitation/recruitment
potential of these often heavily impacted reef systems.

As background research for my project I am trying to compile information
(anecdotal or otherwise) relating to observations of coral spawning in SE
Asia, particularly Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia or the Philippines.

The only published data that I have come across so far are from Taiwan and
the Philippines, so I am appealing to the coral-list for personal
observations, unpublished data or even unsubstantiated rumours relating to
past observations of coral spawning in these seas (even
negative-evidence!!!).

Any information would be gratefully received and can be sent to me by
e-mail. I will happily compile the information and submit (in a digested
form) to the coral-list at a later date.

Thank you in advance,

James Guest.

James. R. Guest
Reef Ecology Laboratory