reef balls

Bob Endreson bob at westpacfisheries.net
Wed Dec 22 00:27:30 EST 1999

Reef Balls are an excellent way to enhance habitat, however, unless they are
being used in a marine protected area, they make it very easy for fishermen
to target species occupying the reef ball either by surround net or spear.
In areas where fishing and spear fishing is allowed, there are other
structures made of waste concrete material that provide better habitat that
allows fish to not only be harvested, but to hide in deeper crevices out of
the reach of fishermen.

Bob Endreson
Western Pacific Fisheries Coalition