Job at FMRI
Walt Jaap STP
JAAP_W at epic7.dep.state.fl.us
Wed Feb 3 16:13:28 EST 1999
SHORT-TERM JOB AVAILABLE - FLORIDA MARINE RESEARCH INSTITUTE, 100 8th Ave
SE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701-5095.
The individual will assist research staff in emergency and normal field
work (ship groundings, dredge insults, aquaculture surveys, coral reef
surveys, and long term ecological research projects). Other
responsibilities include equipment maintenance and computer data entry.
This is a temporary position paying $8.00 an hour with no benefits.
Overtime is paid for work over 40 hours in a week and travel expenses are
reimbursed after the event. The individual should be in good health and
able to work well with others in stressful circumstances. The work area
is in central and southern Florida.
Must be able to perform at the scientific diver level of skill and be able
to pass all requirements in the American Academy of Underwater Sciences
standards for a scientific diver: medical exam, swimming test, written
exam, health and safety certifications and openwater checkout
Skills that are of primary importance:
1. Operating and primary maintenance of air filling stations (compressor,
2. Experience in the use of underwater video equipment: setting up,
testing, operating, maintenance, and editing to include copying tapes and
frame grabbing images for computer files.
3. Scuba equipment maintenance.
4. The individual should have participated in a small boat safety class
and have small boat operating skills (navigation and maintenance).
5. Experience in underwater 35 mm photography to include setting up,
testing, operating, and maintenance.
6. Computer systems to include MS Word, spread sheets (Quatro Pro,
Excel), image processing software, and the ability to use e-mail.
7. Skills in underwater survey techniques to include quadrats, transects,
8. Use of lift bags, epoxy applicators, hydraulic and pneumatic tools,
compass, surface supplied diving gear, dry suits, taking measurements
(distance and bearings) of distinct features.
Respond to Emergency response technical assistant, FAX: 727-893-1270. A
resume and the names and phone numbers of two references should be
provided. Please respond by 5:00 PM on 10 February.
More information about the Coral-list-old