Acropora spp. - Candidates for Endangered Species List

Bob Steneck Steneck at maine.maine.edu
Sat Feb 20 12:46:36 EST 1999

Dear Tom,

  It seems to me that the Acropora decline throughout the Caribbean may
qualify that genus and all of its species to endangered status.  I have
seen some recent declines in Porites and to a lesser extent Dichocoenia
but some of the other species you have listed I do not think qualify.
Most notably is Dendrogyra cylindricus.  While I know of no region or
reef in the Caribbean where it has ever been abundant, it is remarkably
common.  Most reefs have a little of that species and most areas I've
worked throughout the Bahamas, eastern and western Caribbean seem to have
healthy colonies.  I suspect you do not want a list of corals that happen
to have always had low abundance.

  It will be relatively easy to query the Atlantic and Gulf Reefs Rapid
Assessment data sets to see if higher than average mortality rates are
showing up for the species you list below (see:
http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/agra/agra1.html).  In April many of us will be
assembling in Fort Lauderdale to present data on the condition of
Caribbean reefs, perhaps you could get a consensus of opinions at that
time (see: http://www.nova.edu/ocean/ncri/cfp_1.html).

  Good luck in your efforts.

  Bob Steneck

>We have also examined several other western Atlantic coral species that might
>merit inclusion as Candidate species.  They were not included in the Federal
>Register Notice since the information available was incomplete.  They
>include:
>
>Acropora prolifera
>Dendrogyra cylindricus - pillar coral
>Dichocoenia stokessi
>Oculina varicosa
>
>Other species, such as the Porites porites complex, P. astreoides, the
>Montastraea annularis complex, M. cavernosa, Diploria strigosa, D.
>clivosa, and
>D. labyrinthiformis appear to have undergone some declines at certain
>sites, but
>do not appear as threatened as the Acropora spp, at this time.

Robert S. Steneck, Ph.D.
Professor, School of Marine Sciences
University of Maine
Darling Marine Center