Candidates for Endangered Species List

Judith Lang & Lynton Land JandL at rivnet.net
Mon Feb 22 11:13:39 EST 1999

Re: the message from CORALations:
In fact an ecosystem approach to species conservation has been our
theoretical underpinning since about 20 years ago when the Gulf of Mexico
and South Atlantic Fishery Management Councils collaborated on a Fishery
Management Plan for Coral and Coral Reefs. The "management unit" here was
defined as being composed of about 400 species of fire corals, soft corals,
gorgonians, black corals and stony corals. At the time, declaring that its
maximum sustainable yield was "incalculable", and that its principal value
was in "nonconsumptive uses" certainly was an unusual approach to fishery
management!

By and large "management for conservation" is working at what is now the
Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary (where, incidentally, all
types of fishing except with hook-and-lines has also been prohibited since
1992). Stony corals have shown no significant changes in cover, species
diversity, species evenness or growth rates since the early 1970's, despite
their location near active petroleum platforms in the Northwestern Gulf of
Mexico [see review of SR Gittings, TJ Bright and DK Hagman, 1994, pp.
181-187 in RN Ginsburg, (compiler), Proc. Colloquium on Global Aspects of
Coral Reefs: Health, Hazards and History].

Sadly, the subsequent history of many reefs in the Florida Keys, where both
natural and anthropogenic stresses are considerably greater than 200 km
offshore Texas, has been less fortunate. Hence, it seems to me that we
should continue to CREATIVELY invoke all available legal options --including
the endangered species act, with its provisions for habitat
acquisition/protection/restoration --as surely, in the long run, that will
only help conserve coral reefs and associated ecosystems.

Judy Lang