Acropora spp. - Candidates for Endangered Species List

Bruce Carlson carlson at soest.hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 23 18:48:38 EST 1999

I would like to note that several public aquariums are raising Acropora
cervicornis in captivity with excellent results (the Florida Aquarium has
some in their coral exhibit and it has grown considerably in the past year).
I certainly hope that the means will be found to keep A. cervicornis and A.
palmata alive and well in their natural environments, but if it really
appears that they are heading towards extinction, it would probably be
worthwhile for a few public aquariums to maintain some "genetic diversity"
in aquariums, for possible reintroduction to the wild when conditions
improve.  Based on what we know about keeping Acropora spp. in aquariums,
they could probably be maintained almost indefinitely, especially if enough
institutions maintain them.

We have considered this here in Hawaii to include A. cervicornis among our
collection of Pacific acroporids, but we are very reluctant to bring in any
Caribbean species that might accidentally also bring in a pathogen (if
indeed that is what is causing the problem in the Caribbean).  If public
aquariums get involved, it will have to be those on the mainland U.S.

Just an option for consideration, but a viable option nonetheless.

Bruce Carlson
Waikiki Aquarium