Acropora spp., endangered

CORALations corals at caribe.net
Fri Feb 26 11:18:41 EST 1999

Dear Mr. Jaap:

You wrote:   " We do not believe that any of the aforementioned taxa of
corals could satisfy the criteria of endangered or threatened species."

Can someone discuss this criteria or possibly scan and post?  How does this
designation differ from appendix II listing?

You wrote:  "Firstly, to prove that a coral is threatened or at risk
throughout the Caribbean, Florida, Bahamas, Bermuda, and places in between
is  costly, time consuming, and might be very difficult to prove the case."

Does this mean there is no data backing compliance to ES criteria for the
taxa listed? I was under the impression that this discussion originated
based on evidence which suggests they fit the criteria. Are reefs
considered “shared resources” in these regions with respect to such
legislation? Would, for example,  a disease diagnosed in one region
resulting in extensive mortality of a species of coral be enough of a cause
for concern to protect the same species in other regions given that these
diseases are distributed by currents, or are you saying extensive
monitoring is required in each specific region?  In other words, at this
point in time, how much investigation actually needs to be done in order to
see if criteria are met and to what regions would the protection apply?

You wrote: "Are corals currently protected from human exploitation by other
statutes
and management regimes?  I would like to think so."

I would like to think so too. Unfortunately, don't corals continue to
decline in large part due to anthropogenic stressors? The big picture is we
don't seem to be "managing" our selves very well.  We can't even manage
trade, let alone less direct impacts from run off etc.... Look, for
example, at the large black coral galleries on St. Thomas, Cayman and Las
Vegas.  There's a two page magazine add that reads like a documentary in
American Skies, the American Eagle magazine promoting this "art." How are
permits allocated for such exploitation with so little knowledge about the
"protected" species?  In St. Thomas, the existence of this well publicized
gallery has encourage neighboring shops to engage in the trade. Many
fishermen in the DR are risking their lives to harvest this coral.
My only concern about using endangered species act to protect coral is that
the response to the question you posed: "Are corals currently protected
from human exploitation by other statutes and management regimes?  would be
answered  as casually with "I would like to think so, they're considered
endangered species."

You wrote: "Would the endangered species act have provided immunity from
these anthropogenic disturbances?    Although, I believe you are
specifically referring to groundings when you discuss "anthropogenic
events" what about development related stress?   Has the endangered species
act been used to stop development? With respect to groundings, could the
endangered species act be used to create legislation which diverts tanker
traffic away from sensitive coral reef areas, minimizing future groundings
and tanker related accidents? Has endangered species act ever been used to
improve water quality?

You wrote: "Natural events such as hurricanes, ENSO related bleaching
episodes, and global warming are still occurring in spite of the efforts
that the
 coral protection statutes and management regimes. Would additional
 protective legislation such as the endangered species program provide
 more protection to the reef resources?  "

I believe the answer to this depends on the proposed protective
legislation. We should be using past management failures to discuss
additional protective legislation.   With regard to the endangered species
act, I would think we can use this as another tool to minimize additional
anthropogenic stress to protected corals from proposed development and
water quality issues.   Your “natural events” argument  better defends why
we should do more....not eliminate a legislative avenue that already
exists.

 You wrote:   Coral populations are very dynamic.  In the case of Acropora
palmata
(Lamarck, 1816) there is good evidence that it has gone through boom and
 bust dynamics for quite some time.

Are you suggesting that no anthropogenic stressors are currently
contributing to the decline of this species?

	I respect you for posting your arguments to the web for discussion. I also
have concerns about the effectiveness of the endangered species act to
protect corals.  To many people, corals are just rocks, or rocks with
worms.  However, unlike you, I see this as a cause for concern to open
discussion about more aggressive comprehensive legislation,  not grounds
for abandonment of laws currently on the books.  Other listers have
commented that by protecting one species of coral others will benefit.  In
my opinion, the strongest argument you present is cost - benefit.
However, I feel your cost-benefit argument fails if a substantial amount of
data  exists which can be used to demonstrate compliance with ES criteria
and other corals benefit by proximity to the species being listed.

Sincerely,

Mary Ann Lucking
Project Coordinator
CORALations