Acropora palmata discussions/coral nursery

Fabrice POIRAUD-LAMBERT fpl10 at calva.net
Fri Feb 26 13:09:42 EST 1999

Hi,

Reef Relief Document and Initiative is really interesting according to me,
and I think it should be extended to Maldives and other heavily damaged
reefs : I'm just coming back from Maldives, and it's really incredible =>
95% of coral coverage as been killed and SPS / LPS corals have deseappered
totally in most reefs !

Many colonies has been broken and turned up side down (it happened that I
returned 4 still alive Tabular Acropora in less than 10 minutes), and many
frags are lying in the sand, dying.

SPS and LPS are now very rare in many Maldives Reefs, and I  strongly feel
that Local Professional Divers and volonteers could help in returning
Colonies and  using fragments to re-colonize bleached reefs, If it's not
too late.

Rgds
Fabrice POIRAUD-LAMBERT

-------