Underwater photography

EricHugo at aol.com EricHugo at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 12:33:19 EDT 1999

In a message dated 7/8/99 10:12:39 AM, rguppy at ima.gov.tt writes:

<< I just wanted to say thanks to all those who gave me suggestions and
helpful hints to improving my underwater photography.  I really appreciate
it. >>

While I certainly appreciate the non-cluttering of this list at times, there
are also times when I (and I imagine others) would greatly benefit from some
of the private responses to questions.  This is without question one of those
times for me.

Reia, I don't know how others would feel, but I would certainly like to hear
about some of these suggestions made, in summary, privately, or publicly on
the list.  Despite some 20 years of photographing, there is still nothing
more annoying than trying to document something to find the shot is not
worthy of use.  I find this especially true today with the increasing
sediment loading on many reefs. It is becoming very difficult for this
amateur photographer to avoid backscatter from particulate matter even when
shooting at fairly close range.  The photos I took from the Florida reef
tract after the NCRI conference were absolutely abysmal.  I am going on a
research dive in St. Croix next week and am almost dreading the results.  I
thought at one time I could take some decent shots, but year after year they
seem to get worse as the visibility on reefs and the water clarity/color has
changed so dramatically in many locations.

Eric Borneman