coelenterate sensory systems

anya salih anya at emu.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 00:15:41 EDT 1999

>Is anyone familiar with the anatomy of surficial microstructures
>on polyp tentacles.  I have observed on SEM small (~1 micron) hair-like
>structures and have seen them referred to, in a book entitled "Microbial
>Seascapes", as a bacterial lawn.  It has been brought to my attention
>that they curiously resemble cilliated epithelium. If anyone has seen
>these structures or has

I have seen (by light microscopy) cilia  on the epidermal layer of many
corals. If coral tissues are mechanically broken up or chemically
dissociated, the clumps of tissues will then rapidly rotate in seawater
from the action of beating cilia on their surfaces. Bacteria are also
present on the surface and can be just made out by light mircroscopy, are
much smaller and thinner. The epidermal layer of coral larvae is also
ciliated. I would think that the cilia increase the absorption surface
area.

Anya

Anya Salih                      Internet:  anya at emu.usyd.edu.au
Marine Physiology Lab           Telephone:02-93513006 (Zool)
Zoology AO8                               02-93517540 (EMU)
School of Biological Sciences   Facsimile:02-93517682
The University of Sydney
Sydney, 2006, AUSTRALIA