Position available at Qld University

PatH path at amsg.austmus.gov.au
Wed Mar 24 18:51:29 EST 1999

     LECTURESHIP IN CORAL REEF ECOLOGY - UQ Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Level
     B/C) Continuing

     The Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of Queensland,
     invites applications for an appointment at Lecturer level B/C, the
     level of appointment and commencement salary being dependent on
     qualifications and experience.

     The University operates a small research station at Low Isles in the
     northern Great Barrier Reef region, a large teaching and research
     station at Heron Island in the southern GBR, and a similar facility
     under construction in Moreton Bay.  All research stations have an
     appropriate range of small boats, and the University has recently
     purchased an 11.15m catamaran capable of offshore operations.

     The appointee will coordinate and further develop a 3rd level field
     subject in Coral Reef Ecology and contribute to other appropriate
     undergraduate subjects.  The successful candidate will be expected to
     attract and supervise postgraduate students, especially those
     interested in coral reef ecology, to foster use of the University's
     Heron Island Research Station, to pursue an active, externally funded
     research program in coral reef ecology, and contribute to the academic
     life of the Department, the Centre for Marine Studies and the
     University.

     Applicants should possess a PhD degree, have demonstrably relevant
     achievements in tertiary level teaching and research, proven ability
     to supervise postgraduate students, a documented record of high
     research productivity, an ability to work cooperatively in a team
     environment, and experience in administration and research.
     Preference will be given to applicants with a strong background in
     tropical and sub-tropical coral reef ecology.

     The appointment, commencing in mid-1999, will be continuing, with a
     probationary period of 3 years (Senior Lecturer) or 5 years
     (Lecturer), with tenured appointment beyond probationary periods
     subject to satisfactory performance against agreed criteria.  The
     successful applicant will contribute to the teaching and research
     activities of the department, and also to the broader marine program
     of the University.

     Information about the Department of Zoology and Entomology, and the
     University's Centre for Marine Studies/School of Marine Science, can
     be found on the web: http://www.zoology.uq.edu.au/soms/

     Details of the position and  further information about the Centre for
     Marine Studies/School of Marine Science can be obtained by contacting:
     Associate Professor Jack Greenwood
     email JGreenwood at zoology.uq.edu.au
     phone (+7 3365 2504).

     Further details of duties and selection criteria are available from
     the Department of Zoology and Entomology Senior Administration
     Officer, Janine Armitage (JArmitage at zoology.uq.edu.au).

     Salary range: Lecturer (Level B), $48,327 - $57,388 Senior Lecturer
     (Level C), $59,200 - $68,261