Bleaching potential - LOW

astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov astrong at nesdis.noaa.gov
Wed Mar 31 13:29:37 EST 1999

HotSpot Notes -- March 31, 1999

NOAA satellite data show Bleaching HotSpots have receded
to cover dramatically less coral reef regions than at this time last
year.  Compare the following pairs of images:

http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/data/hotspote.3.30.1999.gif
http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/hotspot_archive/data/hotspo
te.3.30.1998.gif

and

http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/data/hotspotw.3.30.1999.gif
http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/hotspot_archive/data/hotspo
tw.3.30.1998.gif

>From our SST anomalies and their archives:
http://psbsgi1.nesdis.noaa.gov:8080/PSB/EPS/SST/climo.html

it would appear we are seeing some of the coolest Pacific Ocean SSTs
since the late 80s and early 90s. --- GOOD NEWS for our coral reefs
and their recovery from last year's unprecedented bleaching!!

AES
Alan E. Strong
  Phys Scientist/Oceanographer                    Adj Assoc Res Professor
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3                    US Naval Academy
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 711W                    Oceanography Department
  5200 Auth Road                                        Annapolis, MD 21402
  Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304                            410-293-6550
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
  301-763-8102 x170    FAX: 301-763-8108
          http://manati.wwb.noaa.gov/orad