Corals on the internet

Bruce Carlson carlson at soest.hawaii.edu
Wed May 5 21:00:16 EDT 1999

The Waikiki Aquarium now has a live camera on our web site focused on
three species of living corals:  Montipora digitata, Acropora elseyi, and
Acropora sp.  There is a metric ruler on the left side of the image to
allow viewers to measure the daily growth rates of the corals (do they
grow faster from dusk to dawn vs. during day light hours etc.).

It's about as exciting as watching grass grow, but we feel it has
instructional value for students learning about corals.

The URL for the Waikiki Aquarium is:

	http://waquarium.mic.hawaii.edu/

go to the bottom of the screen and click on the "Corals Are Alive!" icon.

It should be obvious (but I'll say it anyway) you can only see the
image during the daylight hours in Hawaii!

Aloha
Bruce Carlson