Daytime spawning by Pocilloporids in Okinawa, Japan

keven reed reedk001 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon May 10 14:49:52 EDT 1999

To add to Pauline-Fiene Severns observations on the spawning cycles of Pocilloporids at Molokini Crater, Hawai'i:  I saw three Pocilloporids (Pocillopora verrucosa?) releasing sperm about 1030-1100 on June 22, 1997 at Chiibishi reef.  It was the day after a full moon on 21 June 1997.  I was a guest of Prof. Rob van Woesik's class on a boat dive at Chiibishi Reef about 14 km west-northwest of Naha, Okinawa, approx 26 degrees 15 minutes N.
    Most on the dive did not to get to see these significant events.  However, I was paired up with Akiyuki and it was he who astutely spotted the "smoking" scleractinians.  We noticed the first colony releasing sperm at 8 meters depth, and later in the dive two more colonies at 6.4 meters depth.  Water temperature was 26 C/78 F.  Low tide had been at 0736 and high tide was scheduled for 1421.

Keven Reed, O.D., FAAO
Naval Medical Clinic Pearl Harbor, Hawai'i
FAX:  (808) 473-1882
email:  reedk001 at hawaii.rr.com
Home telephone: (808) 677-3044
Work telephone: (808) 473-1880 ext 350