Coral spawn cryopreservation

paul paul at nw.com.au
Thu May 27 09:22:01 EDT 1999

Hi all,

I was curious to know whether anyone had attempted to cryogenically freeze
then restore coral eggs and sperm. I know eggs & sperm from recently spawned
corals have been sucessfully collected and grown out, but if they could be
cryopreserved, then they could be stored in bulk and redeposited on the same
reef if it was somehow destroyed. Obviously if the cause of any such die off
would have to be rectified and I guess this is assuming that algae & borers
don't destroy the underlying reef structure prior to any reseeding.

Paul Groves
Head Aquarist
Underwater World - Perth - Australia
Founder MASWA - Marine Aquarists Society of WA
Email paul at nw.com.au
ICQ VIN# 4231441