coelenterate sensory systems

EricHugo at aol.com EricHugo at aol.com
Thu May 27 11:01:03 EDT 1999

In a message dated 5/24/99 3:01:36 PM, cbentis at bu.edu writes:

<< Is anyone familiar with the anatomy of surficial microstructures
on polyp tentacles.  I have observed on SEM small (~1 micron) hair-like
structures and have seen them referred to, in a book entitled "Microbial
Seascapes", as a bacterial lawn.  It has been brought to my attention
that they curiously resemble cilliated epithelium. If anyone has seen
these structures or has
anymore information as to their identity, function, etc.  >>

Are you referring to microvilli?  References I have suggest that microvilli
on coral surfaces are related to the uptake of DOM from sea water and that
ciliated epithelium is related to movement of bacterioplankton (and the like)
across coral surfaces for ingestion.  I can dig up some references for you on
this if you haven't already received enough, and off the top of my head, HAF
Gohar has some pretty detailed reports on such anatomy in Xeniids in the
1940's Publications of the Marine Research Station at Ghadarqa.

Eric Borneman