translocation of Porites bommies

John Naughton John.Naughton at noaa.gov
Tue Nov 16 20:30:51 EST 1999

Kirsten:

If this is a new boat harbor with significant amounts of large Porites
bommies, I would consider recommending avoidance.  In otherwords, move the
harbor, or at a minimum realign the entrance channel or turning basin to
avoid these large colonies.

In Hawaii we've moved up to 15 tons of coral (including some substantial
bommies), but either at a harbor which was begun in the 1970s and never
completed (Kawaihae Harbor), or for maintenance dredging of corals which
have colonized older existing harbors (several sites in Kaneohe Bay).  Very
old, large colonies should be avoided whenever possible.

Aloha,        John

John Naughton
NMFS, NOAA
Honolulu, Hawaii