To Bali or not to Bali....

Bruce Potter at Island Resources bpotter at irf.org
Fri Sep 24 10:29:31 EDT 1999

I disagree with the implication of this statement:

>The situation in East Timor cannot be generalized
>throught out Indonesia. There many part of Indonesia have much better
>human right performance than East Timor.

I worked for five years doing political risks analyses on conditions
in Indonesia in the early 1980's, and it was my impression that human
rights repression was a general policy (or instrument in implementing
policies) of the Government of Indonesia, not particularly subject to
regional variations.

For example, attacks against ethnic chinese were orchestrated
nationwide. Human rights were routinely violated in most aspects of
the Transmigration Program.

Human rights repression was exercised wherever challenges to the
established order reared its ugly head.

And with specific reference to this list, one of the exiled
Indonesian opposition leaders of that time was the founder of the
Indonesian Green Foundation.

bruce potter

------------------

At 9:50 PM -0500 9/23/99, sapta Putra wrote:
>Dear Erdmann and coral listers
>
>Thank you for your positive comment.
>
>As Erdman has experience working in Manado, I also have experience in many
>part of Indonesia. The situation in East Timor cannot be generalized
>throught out Indonesia. There many part of Indonesia have much better
>human right performance than East Timor.
>
>I have involved to encourage local governments and local NGOs to conserve
>coral reef ecosystem since 1997 through COREMAP. Some of them gradually
>implement the program to protect their reefs. So, if international reef
>scientiest boycot the 9ICRS due to the East Timor problems, then the
>boycot will not affect military attitude but descourage local government
>innitiatives to conserve their reefs.
>
>So, before the reef scientiests make decision please consider whether your
>decision will change the situation in East Timor or descourage the coral
>reef conservation program in Indonesia.
>
>Kind regards
>
>Sapta Putra Ginting
>School of Tropical Environment Studies and Geography
>James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland 4811
>Phone:(07)4781 4913 Fax:(07)4781 4020
>email: sapta.putra at jcu.edu.au; sapta_gt at hotmail.com

Island Resources Foundation
27 Years of Environmental Planning for Development

><+><Web Site><+><+><http://www.irf.org/><+><+>< Web Site><+><

Island Resources Foundation	|+|Island Resources Foundation
Headquarters & Library 	|+|Contributions and Publications
6292 Estate Nazareth No. 100	|+|1718 "P" Street NW, Suite T-4
St. Thomas, VI 00802-1104	|+|Washington, DC 20036
Phone 340/775-6225	|+|Phone 202/265-9712
fax 779-2022 		|+|fax 232-0748
Internet: etowle at irf.org	|+|bpotter at irf.org