Legality of Caribbean stony corals on maricultured live rock?

capman at augsburg.edu capman at augsburg.edu
Tue Aug 22 17:09:44 EDT 2000

As I understand it, the maricultured live rock being produced in the
Florida Keys and elsewhere for the aquarium trade is often colonized by a
variety of different stony coral species.  Does anyone on the list know
enough about the CITES regulations (which as I understand it prohibit the
keeping of Caribbean stony corals in aquaria) to say whether keeping these
otherwise illegal corals in aquaria is legal if they crop up on legally
produced cultivated live rock?

Bill