coral reef ABCNEWS article

Ursula Keuper-Bennett howzit at turtles.org
Tue Dec 12 12:02:24 EST 2000

Commerce Secretary Announces New Measures to Safeguard Coral Reefs

By Amanda Onion
Dec. 11

As the world's coral reefs show signs of rapid decline, Commerce Secretary
Norman Mineta spelled out four federal initiatives today to help stem the
die-off of these marine communities known as the rain forests of the sea.

"We can no longer take our coral reefs for granted," said Mineta in a
statement. "We cannot continue to count on coral reefs to support billion
dollar economies based on recreation and tourism while at the same time
permitting unprecedented degradation of our reefs."

The rest is at:

<http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/corals001211.html>

Best wishes,
Ursula Keuper-Bennett