user zonation of coral reefs

Bernard THOMASSIN thomassi at com.univ-mrs.fr
Wed Dec 13 10:14:45 EST 2000

Bridget Armstrong wrote :

>Could someone please point me to references dealing with user zonation =
>of coral reefs, or provide any information on this.

We published in 1977 a usefull Indopacific coral reef terminology
used bu most of the french-speakers :

BATTISTINI et al. (24 french authors), 1997. Eléments de terminologie
récifale indopacifique. Téthys, Marseille, Fr., 7 (1) : 1-111. With
english, german, russian translations of the 125 terms defined within.

>Is there general acceptance that reefs located near the source of larval =
>supply should receive greater protection, in order to supply reefs =
>further downstream ?

OF COURSE. Most of the fringing coral reefs, near lands, are the
providers of larvae for outer areas as seawards barrier reefs, and
lagoonal reefs.
It was demonstrated (pers. comm. Michel PICHON, EPHE Perpignan) by
coral transplant that the corals from oceanic seaward reefs are not
abble to survived in the coastal reefs, in contrary the coastal
corals (that are adapted to survived to several stresses as high
temperature, lower salinity, high turbidity, etc.) are abble to
survived and developped on the outer seawards reefs.
Probably coastal coral communities developped phenologic populations
(as we observed in Mayotte I., SW Indian Ocean, on fringing reefs in
muddy bay environments), but I am not sure it was yet demonstrated.

>ARe there examples of genetic studies on corals to =
>determine the amount of genetic mixing, and thus the appropriate scale =
>of zonation for conservation management ?

I am cathcher of informations upon these last topics. Thanks.
Scheers.

Bernard A. THOMASSIN
Directeur de recherches au C.N.R.S.

G.I.S. "Lag-May"
(Groupement d'Intérêt Scientifique
"Environnement marin et littoral de l'île de Mayotte")
&
Centre d'Oceanologie de Marseille,
Station Marine d'Endoume,
rue de la Batterie des Lions,
13007 Marseille
tél. (33) 04 91 0416 17
tél. GSM 06 63 14 91 78
fax. (33) 04 91 04 16 35 (à l'attention de...)
e-mail : thomassi at sme.com.univ-mrs.fr