CORAL-LISTERS: PLEASE READ

Jim Hendee Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 18 10:55:41 EST 2000

Dear Coral-List subscribers,

Please read this entire message. As I already mentioned eariler in the
week, we are apparently having troubles at our laboratory with either a
configuration of sendmail for our laboratory, or some other problem with
coral-list that does not appear to have originated at the coral
workstation, as I have done nothing different to the majordomo software
configuration.  If you will remember, however, a couple of years ago we
had a similar problem wherein a colleague of ours in Australia had
inadvertently set up a continuous loop of mail forwarding.  That was
exacerbated by a problem with their Unix System Administrator
misconfiguring their system so that all coral-list messages kept being
repeated to all 1,426 of you.

Obviously, none of us is happy about this, but I have been assured by our
Director of Computer Networks & Services that it is being looked into. I'm
sure they are not happy about it either, as this just places more of a
burden on the outgoing mail queue and their never-ending workload.  In the
mean time, if any of you have set up mail forwarding during the last week
or so, please recheck to make sure you do not have a continuous loop set
up so that your mail is being forwarded to one address, which then
forwards back to the original, etc.  If I get any suspicious bounces from
coral-list, I will have to delete your name for the list for the time
being.

If you just can't take it any more and you're totally stressed out about
the situation, you can do one of these things:

a) unsubscribe now and resubscribe later
b) unsubscribe now and subscribe instead to coral-list-digest (one message
a week, we hope)
c) unsubscribe forever
d) be patient and delete the duplicates.

Whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ALL OF CORAL-LIST (e.g., "me
too!").  This obviously just makes matters worse.

I know there are many of you who are using the list now at a critical time
before the US Coral Reef Task Force meeting on March 1, and for other
critical matters (e.g., coral bleaching incidences) so I ask that you only
post messages of the utmost importance until this is all cleared up.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

  Cheers,
  Jim Hendee
  coral-list administrator