Advice on full face masks?

Noah, Michael D POJ Michael.D.Noah at poj.usace.army.mil
Thu Jan 6 23:02:03 EST 2000

			Craig,

			I haven't used two of the three that you're thinking of,
so I really can't compare them.  But I can say that I like the AGA Spiro (they
changed their name recently [?] to Interspiro) Divator Mk II - it works very,
very well.  It also meets U.S. Navy Diving requirements (one of my agency's
requirements for professional use).

			You can get the mask with one of two regulators - one
with the standard "demand" regulator, or one that keeps a slight positive
pressure inside the mask.  I've used both.  The later regulator makes me feel a
lot more comfortable whenever I'm diving in what I suspect might be contaminated
water (the Los Angeles/Long Beach Harbor is a good example).  The constant noise
from the escape of air does tend to scare fish, though, but since fish tend to
avoid contaminated water, their isn't usually a conflict - just use the right
regulator for the job.  The positive-pressure version uses quite a bit more air,
however, so if you've got the positive pressure version hooked up to a tank
(vice a compressor), your bottom time will be reduced significantly.  For that
matter, I've noticed that they both cause you to use more air - over a standard
SCUBA regulator, that is, probably because you use a bit more energy when you
add the ability to communicate.

			Finally, since your inhalation air flows over the inside
of the mask 's faceplate, the mask never fogs.  Its also real nice to be able to
breathe through your nose at times - keeps your mouth from getting too dry!!

			They run around $1,000, with communications.

			Mata ne,
			Michael

			 <<...>>
			US Army Corps