Coral Reef Task Force Meeting, Wash DC

Oceanwatch at aol.com Oceanwatch at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 14:44:37 EST 2000

Coral Listers:

Greetings from the snowbound, gridlocked Nation's Capital.  Probably the most
important meeting of the Coral Reef Task Force (CRTF) takes place in just
over a month in Washington, DC.  A formal announcement should finally be made
this week but I understand that the date is probably March 2.

I strongly encourage you to attend.  The National Action Plan to Conserve
Coral Reefs is likely to be adopted at the meeting.  There also should be
opportunity for public comment during the meeting.  This is a critical
opportunity for the scientific and NGO communities to signal our support for
a meaningful, well-funded, coral reef plan.

The location and timing of this meeting in DC is just too significant to pass
up.
I know that many of us have provided written comments but your physical
presence would reinforce your support.  It would be a shame if Congress and
the Task Force members got the wrong signal that stakeholders didn't care
enough to support, criticize or weigh in on the most significant policy plan
to come out of the government yet on coral reefs.

This time it appears there might be oppportunities for formal participation.
In addition to public comment, we are supporting having booth space available
for organizations that might want to provide educational and scientific
exhibits.  Oceanwatch plans to participate in the meeting and encourages
everyone to attend.  We realize that a trip to DC isn't exactly convenient
for many coral listers but many of you have already attended other meetings.
This is our chance to highlight the importance of coral reefs to people
responsible for legislating, managing and funding coral reef programs.
Sorry, I wouldn't count on field trips--the closest thing we have to coral
bleaching is Potomac Fever.