Sick Sea Fans

Koh Li Ling liling_koh at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 3 11:01:08 EDT 2000

Dear Billy and Ken,

I was following your emails and got really interested about the diseased
seafans. I am a MSc student in Singapore working on diseased seafans. I
noticed the same phenomenon on the gorgonians here as well. Some seafans
have tissues that look dead, some are colonized by molluscs, algae, anemones
etc and some simply have the coenenchyme stripped of the colony leaving only
the axis.I am looking into the possibilty that fungi may be the causative
agents, however I still did not find any significant trends to prove that.
The cause of this may range anything from bad water to bacteria. I was just
wondering if any of you know of the causes behind these sick sea fans. Is it
also possible to contact the octocorals disease expert who is visiting the
Keys?

I'm looking forward to your reply. Thank you!!!

regards,
Li Ling