Status of Diadema antillarum

Brian Keller bkeller at tnc.org
Mon Jul 17 10:10:12 EDT 2000

I am interested in the current status of Diadema populations around the Caribbean.  It is my impression that densities generally are still quite low, with the exception of some localized aggregations, e.g., as reported in northern Jamaica.  The 1983 die-off was not as severe in Barbados as most other areas; are densities in Barbados still relatively high?  A second outbreak of disease occurred in the Florida Keys in 1991; have there been any other observations of recurrence of the disease?

Please send me your observations and I will post a summary.
Brian D. Keller, Marine Ecologist
The Nature Conservancy
Marathon, FL

bkeller at tnc.org