Special Report on Cuban Coral Reefs

WebMaster reef at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 25 02:34:29 EDT 2000

                       Reef Awareness Week Now In Progress!
              Today's Feature: Special Report on Cuban Coral Reefs

                                  July 25, 2000
                            http://www.reefrelief.org

           Items:
           1) Reef Awareness Week, NOW in Progress. Today: Cuban Reefs.
           2) Lobster Mini Season to begin in Florida Keys. July 26-27
           3) CyberDiver.com Shark Feeding Survey - Latest Update.
           4) Join our grassroots efforts to save the coral reefs.

           1) Reef Awareness Week now in Progress.
              Today's Feature: Cuban Reefs.

           To view the Reef Awareness Week Schedule online, goto:
           http://www.reefrelief.org/RAW/index.html

           Today, we will feature rare slides from Arrecifes Colorados,
           North Coast of Cuba, along with a special report on Cuba.
           This document is the online version of Reef Relief's Report
           on the 1998 Expedition to Cuba. To view the slideshow, goto:
           http://www.reefrelief.org/RAW/index.html

           The complete multimedia report also includes seven cd-roms
           of hi-resolution images, and five video tapes with indexed
           time counts. This comprehensive package may be purchased from

           Reef Relief via our online environmental store at the
           following URL:
           http://www.reefrelief.org/webgizmo/i0000134.html

           This is the first survey of these coral reefs in the past
           eight years, according to scientists from the Cuban Institute

           of Oceanography. It is now available to coral reef
researchers
           around the world.

           If you are in the Keys be sure to come by our the Reef
           Relief Environmental Center, located at the Historic
           Seaport, at the foot of William Street, Key West.
           Today, we will sponsor a Book Signing from 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.

           "Behind the Dolphin Smile" by Ric O'Barry.

           2) Lobster Mini Season to begin in Florida Keys. July 26-27

           Reef Relief reminds you to follow Lobster Sport Day rules:
           (Mini season this year is July 26-27)

           *   Six lobsters per person per day or 24 per boat,
               whichever is greater.
           *   No night diving in the Florida Keys.
           *   Tails can only be separated on land.
           *   The lobster carapace must be at least three inches long.
           *   No egg-bearing females may be harvested.
           *   Florida Saltwater Fishing License with a
               current crawfish stamp is required.
           *   No spears, hooks or wires can be used.

           For more Information please call 1-(800)-Dial-FMP

           3) CyberDiver.com Shark Feeding Survey - Latest Update!

           Thank you so much for the response! The Reef Relief online
           activists (1500 strong) really get the job done!

           Last count: To Ban Fish Feeding: 432
                       To Allow Feeding:     63
           This represents a 7:1 ratio favoring the ban!

           The following quote is from the Cyber Diver Editor, just
           days after we let you know what YOU could do to STOP the
           feeding of Marine Wildlife in All Florida Waters:

           "Although normally we upload results once every day, due
           to the extremely high volume of votes that are now being
           submitted to Cyber Diver, we are trying to upload results
           on an hourly or semi-hourly basis."

           If you still haven't added your voice to the survey, the
           following link will direct you to the Cyber Diver Survey.
           There is a small text box at near the top of the page.
           Just follow the simple instructions. To VOTE, goto:

           http://www.cyberdiver.net/page-one/page-one.html

           4)  Join our grassroots efforts to save the coral reefs!

           REEF RELIEF is a non-profit membership organization
           dedicated to Preserve and Protect Living Coral Reef
           Ecosystems through local, regional, and global efforts.

           Reef Relief relies on memberships, contributions, and
           volunteer efforts. Join our grassroots efforts to save the
           reef! All contributions are tax deductible to the fullest
           extent of the law.

           The basic membership contribution of $30.00 entitles you to
           a one year membership, the quarterly newsletter REEF LINE by
           mail, a window decal, bumper sticker, invitations to special
           events, and all membership privileges.

           You may find out more and/or join online at:
           http://www.reefrelief.org/membership.html

           You may Contact and/or Visit us at:

                   Reef Relief
                   201 William Street
                   P.O. Box 430
                   Key West, Florida, 33041

                   Phone: (305) 294-3100
                   Fax:   (305) 293-9515
                   email: reef at bellsouth.net
                   web:   http://www.reefrelief.org

           Here's an exciting new way to help Reef Relief at no cost to
           you or to us. Become a member of iGive.com by going to this
           URL on your internet browser:
           http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=10108
           Shop for everyday items from leading online merchants in the
           Mall at iGive.com and up to 15% of each purchase comes to us!