Orange Montastrea cavernosa recruits?

Mikhail Matz matz at ibch.ibch.ru
Tue Jul 25 12:33:45 EDT 2000

Hi Iain,
we know a little bit what is the substance causing the fluorescence in
corals,
and observations, measurements and photos were made about this
(see http://www.nightsea.com/references.htm for the list of related
papers and websites)
Moreover, in particular M.cavernosa fluorescence was measured (in situ)
by Charles Mazel
and is studied by me (in vitro) right now.

However, so far we have absolutely no clue as to the function of this
fluorescence in
nature (if we forget for a moment about older hypotheses all of which
seem wrong by now),
and the subject is my primary interest. Your observation is, as far as I
know, the first
information which might help to link fluorescence to some aspect of coral
ecology. I would be
extremely grateful if you could provide some more details on your
observations.
  I would like to ask all coral listers as well - perhaps you saw
something like Iain? Anything
which could give a hint about the function of fluorescence? Or perhaps I
simply missed something
in literature?
    best wishes,

Mike Matz