Orange Montastrea cavernosa recruits?

FAUTIN DAPHNE G fautin at eagle.cc.ukans.edu
Thu Jul 27 10:00:29 EDT 2000

On the subject of the two symbionts, I commend to anyone interested in the
phenomenon the paper of Secord and Augustine, "Biogeography and
microhabitat variation in temperate algal-invertebrate symbioses:
zooxanthellae and zoochlorellae in two Pacific intertidal sea anemones,
*Anthopleura elegantissima* and *A. xanthogrammica*: Invertebrate Biology
119(2):139-146 (published 11 May 2000), and the references cited therein.

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Don McAllister wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:57:38 -0400
> From: Don McAllister <mcall at superaje.com>
> To: Mike and Marelet Kirda <mkirda at dsl.telocity.com>
> Cc: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
> Subject: Re: Orange Montastrea cavernosa recruits?
>
> Some sea anemones in thePacific Northwest and British Columbia have
> symbiotic algae, so perhaps those species might fluoresce.
>
> The aggregating anemone Anthopleura elegantissima has zooxanthellae and
> zoochlorellae and the giant green anemone, A. xanthogrammica, also has these
> two symbionts according to Rita and Charles O'Clair in Southeast Alaska's
> Rocy Shores - Animals.
>
> don
> Don McAllister
> Ocean Voice International
>
> Mike and Marelet Kirda wrote:
>
> > At 06:32 AM 7/26/2000 -1000, J. Charles Delbeek wrote:
> > >On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, kenyon mobley wrote:
> > >
> > >I have seen it in Tubastraea micranthum, it fluoresces green. Also in
> > >deepwater solitary corals from Japan and also from Monterey Bay canyon.
> > >

> > So far, I have seen it only in zooxanthellate corals. I believe I have
> > seen some in anemones from the pacific NW region of the US and Canada.
> > This is not a whole animal sort of fluoresence that you see in
> > zooxanthellate corals though. It seems limited to certain areas.
> > Sorry I can't be more specific- I have not regularly observed these
> > animals at Shedd Aquarium for a couple of years...
> > Regards.
> > Mike Kirda

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Biological Sciences
Curator, Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center
Haworth Hall
University of Kansas
Lawrence, Kansas 66045  USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
for e-mail, please use fautin at ukans.edu

lab web page: www.nhm.ukans.edu/~inverts
direct to sea anemone database version 2.1: biocomplexity.nhm.ukans.edu/
					    anemones/images/Version.html