Strings of pearls Caribbean

Mikhail Matz matz at ibch.ibch.ru
Sat Jul 29 08:41:54 EDT 2000

 Hello Ralph,
 your description is fascinating!
 my guess is ostracode crustacean Vargula or its relative. Since I'm a molecular
biologist, not zoologist, I can say only that their luciferase (the enzyme which
produces light) is known, it is cloned, sequenced and already applied to some
biotechology tasks as a detection tool. The low-molecular substrate for the
enzyme (luciferine) is also characterized. To me, it's a closed file.

Mike Matz