deepwater coral "reefs"?

Pam Muller pmuller at seas.marine.usf.edu
Thu Jun 1 10:28:56 EDT 2000

I concur wholeheartedly with Alina and would add a couple of small details.

A coral is either zooxanthellate or azooxanthellate in most cases (one can find exceptions to any "rule").  However, a coral is not inherently "hermatypic" or "ahermatypic".  Rather, whether coral can accrete limestone faster than it is eroded away or buried by a variety of processes is a function of the environment, in addition to the organism's accretion potential.  For example, Montastrea spp. are hermatypic in the Caribbean, but not on the West Florida Shelf.  There are also many local environments in the Caribbean where Montastrea can live but not construct bioherms.

This distinction is critical to conservation efforts, because a management decision to maintain environmental conditions that can support survival of Montastrea, for example, could be quite different than a management decision to maintain environmental conditions that can support reef (meaning "bioherm") development.

Pamela Hallock Muller, Professor
Department of Marine Science
University of South Florida