coral vs zoox dna quantification

Erik Meesters erikm at nioz.nl
Thu May 25 05:57:40 EDT 2000

Hello fellow scientists,
It was pointed out that I haven't been specific enough with my question.

We have made some investigations on Rna and Dna concentrations in
corals. As some of you may be aware, the ratio between Rna and Dna may
reveal something about the metabolic condition of the individual, cq
community.

Rna is assumed to vary with metabolism (protein production, gametogenesis
etc), Dna per cel is assumed to be reasonably constant. In corals a large
proportion of Dna orriginates from the zoox and ofcourse because zoox
concentrations vary with stress, light (you name it) one may assume that
DNA varies too. That is, IF the zoox contribute a substantial part to the total
dna pool.

My idea has always been that people that look at coral or zoox dna do in
some way separate the different dna's (Forgive my ignorance for I am no
molecular biologist!) and that this would be an easy question.

Again, I hope this time clearer, does anyone have an idea what proportion of
Dna in a sample of coral tissue including zoox, might be from the host or
symbiont?

Thanks again for any helpful hints, ideas or even answers!

cheers,
Erik