rainforests of the sea/raising awareness

Dricot-Fellenius karlf at sfu.ca
Fri May 26 16:22:50 EDT 2000

Rob,

I am on this listserve to gain knowledge about coral reefs that can be used in
the management of coastal and marine tourism. As such, I can appreciate the
analogy between rain forests and coral reef environments from a tourism
perspective. While tourism is more prevalent in reef environments, ecotourism
tends to have more success in rain forests. In accordance with ecotourism
principles, the conservation ethic by tourism operators and the extent of local
benefit from the operation are two themes that could be elaborated upon in your
programme.
There are a number of sites that can be referenced for this kind of info:

http://www2.planeta.com/mader/planeta/0295/0295shores.html
              The Challenge of Ecotourism

http://ecotourism.homepage.com/definitions.htm
              Dealing with Definitions - John Shores

 http://www.gorp.com/gorp/features/misc/ecotour.htm
              Principles of Ecotourism - GORP

  http://www.green-travel.com/gtdef.htm
              Toward Definition

  http://www2.planeta.com/mader/ecotravel/tour/definitions.html
              Definitions - Ron Mader/Planeta.com

   http://www2.planeta.com/mader/ecotravel/tour/latam.html
              Latin American Ecotourism - What is it?

   http://www2.planeta.com/mader/planeta/1196/1196agents.html
              Evaluating Ecotourism Operators and Agents

regards,

karl

--
Karl Fellenius, Masters Candidate
School of Resource & Environmental Management
karlf at sfu.ca