Deep water corals

Don McAllister mcall at superaje.com
Sat May 27 07:34:18 EDT 2000

McCarty and Peters wrote:

> Don McAllister commented:
>
> >>I don't pretend to know the correct word for deep water corals lacking
> zooxanthellae.<<
> There are several terms that have been applied to this situation:
> ahermatypic -  meaning does not build reefs,

Thanks for the terminology, Chip.  Those are helpful postings.

But the earlier parts of the thread criticized the use of the word "reef", for
these boreal assemblages.  Bioherm was proposed as an alternative.  But the
definitions of bioherm that I found were not altogether supportive of coo/deep
clusters of corals.

don
Don McAllister