neoplasms in corals

Francisco KELMO F.Kelmo at plymouth.ac.uk
Sat May 27 17:11:59 EDT 2000

Dear Colleagues,

Have you heard anything related to cancer in corals recently? The
most substantial paper I've got was written by Dr. Esther Peters and
co-workers in May 1986. The text is of excellent quality and
very informative, although the report does not fully conclude the
causes of coral tumours (calicoblastic neoplasms).

I am asking this because last month, during a field work, I
discovered abnormal tissue growth in colonies of two scleractinians
(Northern coast of the State of Bahia, Brazil). The area has been
monitored since 1995, but I never noticed scleractinians with chaotic
porous proliferation, hyperplasia, irregular shape and discolouration
(Not the usual bleaching).  I suspect that this is a consequence
of reef degradation following the 1997-98 El Nino event. However,
most of literature I could track down is out of date.

If you are/know someone who is currently engaged in coral tumour
research, please contact me.  I also appreciate comments and
suggestions from everyone.

Cheers, Francisco.

F.Kelmo
Coral Reef Ecology
Benthic Ecology Research Group
613 Davy Building, University of Plymouth,
Drake Circus, Devon, PL4 8AA
United Kingdon.
Phone: +44 (0)1752 232951 (Lab) +44 (0)870 710 5741 (home)
Fax: +44 (0)1752 232970
E-mail: fkelmo at plymouth.ac.uk