How to set up a coral tank

capman capman at augsburg.edu
Fri Nov 3 14:20:07 EST 2000

I agree with James Wiseman that forums such as reefs.org can be a great source
of practical information on how to maintain corals in captivity.  Other very
useful forums are the Reef Central message board:
http://www.reefcentral.com/,
as well as the ReefKeepers listserver (one of the Topica lists...sorry, I
don't have their main web site address handy at the moment).

While these are not primarily scientific sites but rather groups of hobbyists
sharing information (much of it anectotal, unfortunately), many of the
participants on these discussion groups are VERY skilled in reef aquarium
husbandry.  They might not always know WHY the techniques they use work, but
often they know what DOES work and what doesn't work.

Also, if you are new to reef aquarium husbandry, I would *highly* recommend
you get (and study) a copy of "The Reef Aquarium, volume I", by Delbeek and
Sprung, which I think is about the best, most comprehensive introduction to
reef aquaium systems and reef aquarium methodology that I have seen.

Also, on my web site I have a brief overview of reef aquarium metholology that
you might find useful as an introduction.  While this was put together first
and foremost as a general overview to help my general biology and ecology
students better understand the reef system we have in one of our teaching
labs, several folks have e-mailed me to tell me they found it to be quite a
useful overview.  Go to:
http://www.augsburg.edu/biology/aquaria
,then click on the "List of special topics", and go to "The biology and
methodology of reef aquaria".

I hope this helps.

Bill Capman
Augsburg College