naive approach to saving corals, preserving genetic resources

Jose Lopez lopez at HBOI.edu
Fri Nov 3 16:48:59 EST 2000

We have several experts working with reef aquaria at our institution, and
thus I was given permission to forward the following earlier exchange
regarding this topic to the list.   Please contact Kelly at ORA (below) for
further information on setting up reef aquaria.  I believe this is just the
tip of his knowledge on this subject. Good luck to all hobbyists.  With the
accelerated rate of reef destruction, your efforts cannot hurt.

Secondly , as Michelle Stuart mentioned, establishing gene or tissue banks
of corals and other marine organisms (somewhat being performed de facto by
all practicing coral biologists who store their tissues in freezers, DMSO
etc.) is one way to avoid a TOTAL loss of diversity in the face of imminent
genetic and biological extinctions  (and then hope for better technological
answers in the future).   This approach is being used for endangered
terrestrial counterparts -

Ryder OA, McLaren A, Brenner S, Zhang YP, Benirschke K.DNA banks for endangered animal species.Science. 2000 Apr 14;288(5464):275-7.

but can also be applied to threatened marine organisms.  Because of the lack
of time and present funding, few actually know or can predict the value of
threatened organisms, their genomes and gene products may have now or in the
future.

Joe  Lopez, Ph.D.
Assistant Scientist
Division of Biomedical Marine Research