Symposium Ideas

Andy Hooten Environmental_Services at ibm.net
Fri Nov 10 22:11:07 EST 2000

The issues raised in the recent threads about future Symposium and =
publication ideas are obviously on many of our minds who attended the =
9th. I also recall the large attendance during the 8th in Panama (in =
1996), where many concerns were raised about the upsurge in popularity =
and attendance-- especially among those interested in applied ecology, =
monitoring, reef management, economics, conservation, tourism-- and all =
of the other coral reef issues evolving around the basic science, and =
that these might have frustrated many of the scientists attending who =
wished to focus and debate academic issues.

This time around, Terry Done's effort, with David Hopley's help, to be =
inclusive of all these coral reef interests with an eye toward =
integrating them is certainly to be applauded, as well as the efforts of =
the Washington, D.C.-based Seaweb's work in helping to bridge the =
communication gap between investigators, managers and the media.  But =
given the sheer size of the conference and the number of participants, =
it clearly points to so many being overwhelmed with information (as =
noted in Alina Szmant's recent email, quoting the statistics from =
Bernard Salvat's plenary presentation).=20

It seems to me that the very first International Tropical Marine =
Ecosystems Management Symposium (with the unwieldy acronym of ITMEMS) =
held in Townsville, Australia in November, 1998 , could potentially =
serve coral reef managers and related interests--to take the information =
gained from the ICRS, and apply it in coral reef management, =
conservation and economic, etc. contexts.  It is true that the very =
first ITMEMS largely focused on reviewing progress to date of the the =
International Coral Reef Initiative, but subsequent programs could be =
incorporated to truly be the Symposium whose main focus serves coral =
reef managers and related interests--applying the ever-increasing =
information gained from the scientific meetings.=20

Now an ITMEMS II is being planned for 2002, and perhaps this could serve =
as the opportunity to begin an alternating focus--highlight the more =
applied management and conservation interests for coral reefs? In short, =
there could be a "summer olympics/winter olympics" analogy alternating =
between ICRS and ITMEMS that could be synergistic, and possibly take =
some of the load from any single, large symposium.=20

I would also like to suggest that in the future, the ISRS consider a =
sister publication to "Coral Reefs" that might allow refereed =
publications specifically for applied coral reef studies and management =
("Reef Management"?). It seems that certain parts of "Reef Encounter" =
have been moving in this direction over recent years, and a =
complementary publication whose focus in applied work would be useful, =
welcomed, and might help redirect management-related articles, thereby =
reducing the increasing rate of overload (and rejection rate) for "Coral =
Reefs".

Perhaps in combination with the recent ideas submitted on Coral-List of =
moving publications into electronic platforms, we could develop both =
platform and symposium standards for our community of practice, and make =
this increasing amount of information better balanced, processed, =
peer-reviewed and edited, and in so doing, make it more digestible for =
us all.

Andy Hooten
AJH, Environmental Services
4005 Glenridge Street