Employment -- Reef Check Program Manager

Gregor Hodgson gregorh at ucla.edu
Mon Nov 13 13:41:40 EST 2000

Reef Check Foundation, a global volunteer program dedicated to coral
reef education, monitoring and management, is seeking a marine biologist
with an advanced degree to serve as Program Manager based at our office
at UCLA Institute of the Environment. International travel and scuba
diving in exotic tropical locations is required. The Program Manager
will be responsible for overall coordination of global RC activities.
Specific tasks include:
1) Respond to requests for assistance from RC coordinators and answer
inquiries from the public and scientists about RC participation.
2) Plan and carry out RC training around the world as needed.
3) Compile and maintain the RC database, and assist with data analysis
and interpretation.
4) Help to draft proposals, identify funding sources and track grant
expenditures and channel funds to our collaborators.
5) Develop web material and assist our web master to update the RC
website.
6) Identify and work with volunteers who can help RC with various tasks.

7) Assist with the design and implementation of the MAC monitoring
program.
8) Contribute to technical reports, media releases and scientific papers
based on RC results.
Qualifications:
Applicants should have a mixture of scientific skills and practical
experience such as working for an environmental NGO. Will have at least
a Master's degree in marine science, preferably with a focus on tropical
ecology and field experience carrying out scuba survey work. Should be
familiar with taxonomy of major groups of coral reef organisms. Computer
skills to include word processing, spreadsheet and database. Good report
writing and verbal presentation skills. Committed to coral reef
conservation.
RC is part of the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network and is supported
by both private foundations and international NGOs such as the United
Nations Environment Programme. At present, our work involves organizing
and overseeing training and monitoring in about 50 countries. The
ultimate goal is to give people the tools to monitor and manage their
own reefs.
Salary will be commensurate with experience up to about US$35K all
inclusive. This position is open to citizens of all nations however, due
to the urgent need to fill this position, and the delays typically
encountered with visa processing, those applicants with US working visas
may have an advantage. Post will be open until filled with an intial
deadline for receipt of CVs of 1 December.

Applicants should send their CV to <rcheck at ucla.edu> or to:

Dr. Gregor Hodgson
Director, Reef Check Foundation
Institute of the Environment
1652 Hershey Hall 149607
University of California at Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1496 USA

Office Tel: 310-794-4985  Fax: 310-825-0758 or 310-825-9663
Web: www.ReefCheck.org