Coral Reef Symposium

Ellsworth LeDrew ells at watleo.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 16 09:40:41 EST 2000

Good morning, a belated response to John's imaginative solution: Some
of us cannot use our grant money (as per in Canada) to attend
conferences unless we present science papers related to the grant.
Unless we are invited to the global ICRS in this scenario, we could
not attend.  This would create a division of have's and have not's.
Personally, I thought the Bali conference was excellent.  There are
always difficulties, but having organized a few myself I know that
these cannot be avoided and the best result is for a positive science
or management experience for the majority.  There is a lot of science
being done and it is not unreasonable to expect a large number of
concurrent sessions to accommodate that; that is a measure of the
success of the community!  Personally I found something interesting
at all times which is more than I can say for some of the other
conferences in my other fields.  On top of this I did have time to
review the posters that I found interesting.  To restrict the
offerings of papers is to restrict our choice of participating in
interesting work and I think that would be counterproductive.
Many thanks to the organizers.
Ellsworth LeDrew

--
Dr. Ellsworth F. LeDrew