The Trouble with our Ocean

GJ Gast gjgast at freeler.nl
Fri Nov 17 17:35:42 EST 2000

>  "From an economic standpoint, I'm not sure that a
> live reef is worth much more than a dead one.  Most
> first time snorkelers...(the majority of the market)do
> not know the difference.  They see a few fish, they
> lie in the sun.  It's just another day at the beach."
> -Journalist Joel Simon, author of "Endangered Mexico:
> An Environment on the Edge" after visiting Cancun.
>
> Thats the problem with reef ecotourism economics--for
> those whose sole motivation for protecting reefs is
> tourism dollars, it doesn't really matter how healthy
> the reef is as long as the dollars keep coming.
> Solutions anyone?
>
> Peter Burnside

I was at Das Boot (The Boat) in Germany in January this year. Das Boot is
an enormous sort of fair with everything on watersports. One large hall
contains only stands of related to diving (gear producers, diving centres,
travel agents, etc.) and it is completely packed with divers for 10 days. Many
divers go especially to this place to decide where they will go for their next
diving holiday. I hung around in the stand of the Netherlands Antilles for a few
hours and listened to conversations. The one question that stood out above
all was: has there been bleaching at those islands? Almost every diver in
Germany and surrounding countries knows about bleaching and will choose
his/her holiday destination accordingly (elsewhere). These people know what
they want (good reefs) and they make sure they get it (no bleached reefs)
when they spend their vacation money (with every year 14,000,000 million
people going on a diving vacantion: a lot of dollars). Moreover, these people
don't go once, they go at least once a year for decades. I am not an
economist, but I would think these numbers do matter to countries with coral
reefs.

My 2 cents (unfortunately getting less every day in EURO-land), GJ.
Dr. Gert Jan Gast
Oostelijke Handelskade 31
1019BL Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Phone int 31 (0)20 4198607
Please use <gjgast at freeler.nl> as primary address
for large attachments. My permanent email address is
<gjgast at dds.nl> . Please remove <gjgast at tropicbird.fol.nl>
from your address book. It can't be used web-based and
will stop some time in the future.